Friday 13 March 2015

Again, Its been a while..

My apologies for taking a while to get something wrote out to you. My course has gathered some momentum over the last week or so. I completed my first module, scoring 100% yet again. Now, what happens after you finish a module, you are automatically sent the next coursework booklets, which I have to say, came really quickly. I received module D2 and module D3 in one go as module D2 is all about reading and really getting to grips with different games and genres. There is a LOT of gaming you need to do, and while this sounds like pure heaven, you're actually required to play games you don't like. And trust me, you're going to want to. Heres why. You are to analyse a game, and answer some various questions about it, like am I having fun? Why? What would I change? Why? and to properly analyse the game. Analyse its mechanics, write about them, analyse the controls, enemies, graphics, layers, art, animation, pretty much everything. Now, if you do this with a game you like, your going to ruin your game. Without a shadow of a doubt. I recently bought little big planet 3, and i'm a fan of the lbp series. So having a brand new game to try and having this coursework to do, I thought I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. What actually happened was I was picking faults with things. Little things. I wanted to change parts and couldn't, which began to irritate me. Eventually, I started to question why I was playing the game. I read further into the coursework book and it had an interesting section and its to study what makes people enjoy a particular genre. I decided to get into the student forum (A forum full of fellow students, which literally has someone writing or answering 24/7) and start asking questions and asking for recommendations. I had responses and was given some excellent advice. This got me into a better frame of mind and decided that I'd play games that normally I'd avoid like the plague. Play things that are well out of my comfort zone and analyse that. If I ruin the experience by analysing then so be it. If I still don't like the genre then thats ok too.
Now, onto something rather less positive. I am yet to fully see what the £130 pm price tag is for. Yes im receiving booklets, and theres forums to be a part of, but that is rather expensive for that. Theres a tutor on call pretty much constantly to help you, but if you really want to be in the games industry, the chances are you'll understand how the process works, so you'll rarely use the tutors as the majority of what you'll do is pretty much common sense, plus the booklets give you most of the answers that you'll be looking for. I guess it probably all goes towards keeping the site maintained and advertising and keeping in the loop with the industry, but I'm yet to be invited to a meet, or a game jam, or anything like what the salesman mentioned during the interview process. There are students asking about them, but there doesn't seem to be much response. Now this is a little concerning for me and will strive to pursue the topic and get some solid proper information out for you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment